Our teeth are truly amazing; they allow us to eat and drink all kinds of food, provide structure to our face, and help us feel confident when we talk to or meet someone new. Therefore, it’s only right that we take steps to protect them as best we can. Doing so will help us avoid dental problems in the future, therefore saving us time, money, headaches, and worry.
To learn more about receiving dental guards in Sidney, call or come into our local dental practice today!
What Exactly is a Dental Guard?
A dental guard, sometimes referred to as a mouth guard, is a customized device that is specifically designed to protect your teeth and, by extension, preserve your oral health. They can be used to cushion your teeth against external impacts like hits to your face or internal forces like grinding.
When you visit a dentist near you to receive a dental guard, they’ll first evaluate your mouth and take some dental x-rays. This allows your dentist to develop a comprehensive picture of your oral health and the extent of care that is needed to get things back on track. Next, they’ll make molds of your mouth so that your device will fit you perfectly and won’t slip around.
Once it’s ready, you’ll return a few weeks later to receive it.
Of course, there is an alternative to custom dental guards, and that’s over-the-counter dental guards. Even though it’s recommended that you have one made for your, over-the-counter guards are indeed affordable, but they won’t last as long. These devices utilize the “boil and bite” method.
Stock dental guards are available too, however, these provide little to no protection as they’re based on the notion of “one size fits all”. Not to mention they’re typically bulky and can irritate your teeth and gums.
For more information about receiving dental guards near you, get in touch with our dental clinic. Our staff is here to walk you through each option and help identify which is the best route for you to take. We’re more than happy to address all your questions and concerns.
The Benefits of Having a Dental Guard
There are numerous benefits to wearing a dental guard, such as the following:
• They prevent teeth from internal damage (obviously!). This includes grinding (bruxism) and clenching, two common nighttime habits, as well as chipped, cracked, or loose teeth.
• They reduce aches and pains in your teeth and jaw.
• Helps alleviate headaches. It’s been shown that clenching your jaw can cause headaches due to the pressure that’s exerted.
• Protect your teeth from external forces, especially while playing sports.
• Customized dental guards are made to be comfortable and won’t irritate your teeth or gums.
• They can help you get a good night’s sleep.
• Custom guards are designed for long-term use. High-quality materials are used to create your device, meaning that, unlike non-customized guards, you won’t have to worry about it deteriorating within a matter of weeks.
• They help prevent oral nerve damage.
• Reduces damage to your lips, tongue, and the tissues of your cheeks.
• It’s a preventative measure that will save you time, money, and effort.
Mouthguards can be worn by people of all ages. Furthermore, if you have traditional braces, dental implants, or a dental bridge, they can also ensure that these devices and prosthetics are protected as well.
How to Care for Your Dental Guard
So long as you take care to keep it clean, your dental guard will preserve your oral health. Some of the best ways to do this are:
1. Not exposing your device to extreme heat, including hot water or sunlight. Such exposure can cause the device to shrink or expand, therefore changing its shape so that it won’t fit you properly.
2. When you’re not using your dental guard, keep it in a case and store the case in a safe place. That’ll help you make sure you don’t lose it.
3. Rinse your mouthguard with lukewarm water.
4. Take time to brush your device with soapy water each time you use it and let it air dry once you’re done.
5. Keep it away from children and pets.
Are you interested in receiving a dental guard from a dentist in Sidney? We’ve got you covered! At Sidney Harbour Dental, our staff is here to assist you in any way we can. Call or visit our website to schedule a consultation and get started today!