Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, are the final set of molars that appear in a person’s late adolescence or early twenties. For others, these teeth can cause discomfort and dental problems, prompting the question: Do you need to have your wisdom teeth removed?
Let’s look at the factors that determine whether visiting emergency dentistry in Sidney for wisdom tooth removal is necessary. Should you had additional queries, please contact your dentist.
Understanding Wisdom Teeth
Let’s first examine the causes of removal before discussing how wisdom teeth can become a problem. For our ancient predecessors, whose diet required greater biting and grinding, wisdom teeth had a role. These additional teeth have been somewhat rendered useless due to modern diets, better dental care, and evolution. As a result, our jaws have become smaller over time, often not leaving enough space for the wisdom teeth to emerge properly.
Reasons for Wisdom Teeth Removal
Impaction is one of the most prevalent reasons for wisdom tooth removal. This happens when there isn’t enough space in your jaw for your wisdom teeth to fully emerge. Impacted wisdom teeth can become stuck beneath the gum line, causing pain, infection, and even tooth damage to neighbouring teeth.
Wisdom teeth might push on adjacent teeth as they try to emerge. This might result in overcrowding, misalignment, or movement of your existing teeth. As a preventative step, orthodontists may recommend wisdom teeth extraction.
Infection and Gum Disease
Partially erupted wisdom teeth can form pockets in which germs can gather, leading to infections and gum disease. These infections can be unpleasant and spread to other areas of your mouth or body.
Wisdom teeth might be difficult to clean properly due to their location towards the back of the mouth. This makes them more prone to tooth decay and cavities. Removing them can aid in the maintenance of healthy dental hygiene.
Cysts and Tumors
Cysts or tumors can grow around impacted wisdom teeth in some circumstances. These tumors might damage the surrounding bone and teeth and may necessitate visiting emergency dentistry near you for surgical excision.
The Decision-Making Process
Determining whether you need your wisdom teeth removed is best done during consultation with a dentist or oral surgeon. They will take into account a wide range of factors, including your age, the position of your wisdom teeth, and your overall oral health.
Here are some key considerations:
- Age – Wisdom teeth usually appear in late adolescence or early adulthood. Younger people usually have a less problematic recovery after removal.
- Tooth Positioning – The angle and position of your wisdom teeth are very important. If they are impacted, crooked, or indicate an injury to surrounding teeth, removal may be recommended.
- Oral Health – Your dentist will examine your mouth for symptoms of infection, gum disease, decay, or other problems associated with your wisdom teeth.
- Symptoms – Signs that anything is wrong with your wisdom teeth include pain, swelling, and discomfort in that area. If your symptoms persist, schedule an appointment at a dental clinic near you.
Benefits of Wisdom Teeth Removal
Removing problematic wisdom teeth can provide several advantages, including:
- Relief from pain and discomfort.
- Prevention of infection and gum disease
- Avoidance of potential damage to adjacent teeth
- Improved dental alignment for those with orthodontic concerns.
Find Relief from Impacted Wisdom Teeth with Our Capable Team
At Sidney Harbour Dental, we have experience removing impacted wisdom teeth. Our skilled team of dental specialists is ready to evaluate your situation, recommend the best course of action, and offer exceptional wisdom tooth extraction treatments. We have the expertise, advanced equipment, and direct billing dentist near you to offer a seamless and comfortable experience, whether you suffer from pain, discomfort, or concerns about the alignment of your teeth.
Don’t let impacted wisdom teeth disrupt your oral health; visit us today and find the relief you need.